It has been a long tradition that GUST produces a welcome guide video that is shown to new students at the annual Freshers’ Address. It’s origins are going back at least as far as the year 1989 (according to the tape archive database). In some years the previous year’s version was re-used, making it a biannual production, but recently (after 2011) the making of the Freshers’ Guide has become a standard activity for the new Top Four to complete during the summer months every year.
Preserved on tape
The following list has been created based on the tape archive database. The actual tapes have — in most cases — not yet been recovered or digitised to confirm their contents.
- 1989 — Archive tape number 1
- 1994 — Archive tape number 426 (copy)
- 1996 — Archive tape number 361
- (1997) — Archive tapes number 433, 473; re-edit of 1996 for the Freshers’ Address only.
- 1998 — Archive tape number 419
- (1999) — Archive tape number 474; re-edit of 1998 for the Freshers’ Address only.
- 2000 — Archive tapes number 559, 552
- 2001 — Archive tape number 586